Here are some tips to keep your pets safe for Halloween.
Chocolate - in large amounts may be toxic to dogs. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous. If your dog has eaten more than 1oz. or dark chocolate per 10 lbs. of body weight or more than 6oz. candy or milk chocolate per 10 lbs. body weight, call for help. Your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888) 426-4435 can help.
Sugarless candy sweetened by Xylitol - Xylitol is EXTREMELY toxic to dogs. It can be found in many sugarless gums, diabetic candies and toothpaste/washes. Keep these products out of your dog-friendly home. Call your veterinarian or ASPCA Animal Poison Control (888) 426-4435 if xylitol is ingested.
Choking Hazards - abound in the form of pumpkins, decorative corn, decorations, pieces of containers. These non-food items are particularly attractive to young, playful dogs under 5 years of age.
Burns from Candles of Electric Wires - While dogs are more likely to chew on an electric cord and receive a shock or burn, curious cats are more likely to play with an open flame in a jack-o-lantern.
Trick or Treaters - may actually accidentally terrorize your pet! Keep scaredy cats and nervous dogs safely away from the door. Even a brave pet may take that chance to duck out the door. Making sure your pets carry identification in the form of a collar and tag or microchip increases their chance of returning to you.
Costumes - Make sure your pet is a willing participant in Halloween dress up. Some are made anxious by costumes, while others panic and can get wrapped in or choked by their costume.
Walking After Dark - make sure you and your pet are visible to vehicles. Carry a flashlight, wear reflective clothing and have a reflective collar and leash or an on-collar LED light for your pet.
Most supervised pets enjoy a safe Halloween! Therefore, their owners can too!